honeydew,strawberries and apples

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mango

I am like super happy today! =) Walked into Mango at Taka and bought this cardigan that I'd been aiming at since like dunno when and this really cute tee-shirt. =P

Van was really nice and came all the way to tampines with me to go shop at Mango at TM Isetan. =) I spent $79 at Mango today for one tee, one cardigan and this black blouse. =)

I feel really bad spending all these money cause I am NOT working and my parents paid $1000 for me to be able to go to korea.

I guess that I can only be thankful that I have understandable parents who dote on me alot!

=)

I've been having problems sleeping earlier than 3am everyday.

HOW?!

The other night, I was lying in bed thinking about stuff and then I remembered about all the stuff that my dad and mom told me about their lives back when they were still kids(literally kids, like those 7 or 8 year old kids)

My dad didn't had a good time. My grandfather died of liver cancer when my dad was only 10(I think). My dad was the 3rd child out of 5 children. Back then, my dad was still living in the kampung. They were so poor that they didn't have money to buy firewood to cook food. They had to pick up firewood that other people threw or dropped on the ground. I was trying to visualize how it'd have looked like in my mind and I realised that they must have been mocked by almost everyone there.

My grandmother single handedly brought up 5 children. Back then, my grandmother earned money by helping others wash their clothes. My dad had to learn how to cook rice using wood. My dad didn't had money for a bus ride to school so he had to walk for at least 30mins each day to reach his school from the kampung he lived in. My dad could only use a few cents to get one packet of rice, and I meant RICE and nothing else, and eat that for lunch/break in school. My dad used to use that the uncle who sold him the rice had this really BIG ladle and used it to scoop A LITTLE sauce onto the rice. My dad said that he could never forget how the uncle would use that BIG ladle and SCOOP JUST A LITTLE SAUCE (more like a drop of sauce) onto the rice. My dad was never good at studying. But he was really good at handiwork and still is.(My dad has never really hired a mechanic before and has repaired most of the stuff that were spoilt by himself) My dad never sat for his sec 2 finals. But during those days when he was still in school, he'd return to school every saturday and help his teacher build this really big sofa(with a few other students as well) and other stuff. The tables that my dad made back then are still in my home now. =) They are still in good shape cause we are still using them to hold stacks of newspapers. =)

My dad never studied much. He even falls asleep when reading the instruction manual for his new digital camera/video camera. But he scrimps and saves in order for my sister and me to be able to have a comfortable life now. For me to be able to type on a laptop that costs $2,300. For me to be able to attend tertiary education that costs at least $6,900 every year. For me to be able to eat what I want, buy what I want and be able to spend on whatever that I want(provided that it is reasonable).

My dad has been through a difficult childhood and has worked hard for the past few decades. I guess that whenever I am sick of mugging for the exams, I'll just think of all that my dad and mom has gone through and done for this family and miraculously, I'd find the strength to move on again.

Let's just say that I respect my dad a lot.

The mom's post will come real soon. =)

the writer blogged at 2:15:00 AM