honeydew,strawberries and apples

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Today's Daily Subscription got me thinking.

The God Of More-Than-Enough

Luke 5:9
9
For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken.

As a young Christian, I grew up hearing preachers say that God only supplies our needs, not our wants. Yet, in the Bible, God clearly shows us that He wants to meet not just our needs, but also our wants.

For example, the famous “shepherd psalm” begins with “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1) Another psalm says, “Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. The young lions lack and suffer hunger; but those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.” (Psalm 34:9–10)

One of the names of God is Jehovah-Jireh, which means “the all-providing One”, who provides more than enough. The God of more-than-enough came in the flesh and walked among His people. And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He would not give His disciples small blessings. That is why He said to Peter, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets [plural] for a catch,” (Luke 5:4) and not “let down your net [singular]”. And what a catch it turned out to be — a boat-sinking, net-breaking catch! It was such a big and unexpected blessing that Peter and all who were with him were “astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken”.

Beloved, see God’s heart for you today. He wants to prosper you greatly. Don’t settle for less, thinking that He only supplies your needs and not your wants. If you need a job, know that He wants you to pray not just for a job, but for a position. When you have a position, you have influence and you are able to impact lives. Maybe what you need is a pay increment. Then, pray not just for that, but also to be in a position to give increments!

You may start out poor when you follow God. But you cannot remain poor when you follow the God of more-than-enough. In fact, like Peter, you too will be astonished that the God of more-than-enough supplies more than what you need and beyond what you have asked!

© Copyright Joseph Prince, 2006–2007. All rights reserved.


Maybe this the reason why even though I put in a lot lesser effort than the rest in studies and find time to spend with my family, enjoy myself on you tube, maple story and just crapping with my sister every night from 11pm to 1am while lying down on our beds, I find so much joy in doing all this. Even though I am tired for lectures, struggling to keep awake during lectures cause I know that once I reach home, I'll never find the motivation to open my textbook and read through unless there is a test the next week or even the next day.

Somehow, I do not understand that why is it that when someone listens in lectures, people deem you as someone who studies a lot at home too. I think that is super lame. Can't they realize that studying should be done in school and not at home? sigh~ Even though I know that what the world thinks is not of any importance at all, but I need the strength and faith to stop myself from listening to all these untruths.

But I am glad that I have learnt quite a lot from being where I am right now. It seems as though the Lord put me here for a reason - to mould myself. He knew my weaknesses. As He put me into this particular department in science, He allowed me to see my weaknesses even clearer and has moulded me into a stronger and even more independent woman. That is why, the Lord is always correct. He has given me so many hints, showed me so much. But yet, my eyes were closed all these while. But now, I have to thank Him for opening my eyes, for showing me the meaning of me being in pharmacy. I thought I knew why I was in pharmacy in the beginning when I put pharmacy as my first choice. But I was wrong. I was wrong all the time.

I realized that sometimes, logical thinking from my own side is not enough. It is NEVER enough. I need to pray and ask before making a certain decision and the decision done with advice from the Lord is never wrong. But I keep forgetting to do this. It seems as though I'm still attached to this world, am of a worldly mind.

It might seem weird, strange and even crazy to talk to a God out there. I used to think that way too. I wasn't born into a family of Christians. My dad still isn't a Christian. But God put me into a Christian school for 10 years. (I am eternally grateful for that. It was those years that made me who I am today.)

I had accepted Christ in Sec 3. There and then, my life changed. To tell you the truth, I didn't know what pulled me to lift up my hand when the speaker asked who wants to accept Jesus into your heart. I really don't know. But I just did. My life changed from then on. Many miraculous things happened. Healing, change of heart, change of character, change of everything. I am still changing. Not perfect. But, He is changing me in ways that I am normally too blur to know. But He is opening my eyes. He is opening my eyes. =)

It is not easy walking with Him. With so many distractions, so many trials, so many temptations. But, I take comfort in knowing that I have a God behind me. Even if things do not seem alright, I know that my Heavenly Father would want the best for me. He mentioned once in the book of Matthew that, "If you as evil know how to give good things to your children, what more about your Heavenly Father."

=) It just gives me comfort to know that. Some may think that only people who are weak turn to the Lord. But aren't we all weak? Relying on our own efforts is never enough. It is never enough.

p.s. If any of you out there has read this and has questions or issues, please just message me on MSN, e-mail me, drop me a sms or just give me a call and I'll gladly have a conversation with you to learn more from you too. =)

p.p.s. If any of you are really stressed out there, feel free to call me. =) I'll be more than glad to provide a listening ear. Trust me. I've learnt the art of shutting up and just listening. =)

Labels:

the writer blogged at 8:46:00 PM